Thursday, January 17, 2019

Restraint is something to be considered...

Now that it's been almost 9 months since Austin, looking back at the pictures, even more things jump out at me. One of them is how many of my pictures captured simple/restrained garden views. Maybe because my own collection tendencies usually make my garden look like a hodge-podge of stuff? Here are some (erm, many?) views that caught my attention...

I love the way that the gravel, stone and planters all work together here, plus large plants that have space to each be admired..
Same goes for the next two vignettes - also several copies of the same plant, plus a common ground cover...


This look out of Pam's garden has a similar there - multiples of the same plant, plus clean gravel & one focal point.

This vignette has more of the same gravel, with each plant highlighted in a way that allows it to really shine...

Some more examples of multiples of the same plant making a restrained, calm, and gorgeous view:
yuccas & bamboo muhly
ground cover, grasses and opuntias
succulents in a planter, repeating..

I loved this combination of planters, rocks and plants




even exuberant gardens have order to them - like all these matching decorations
so many good agaves!
This area doubled as a water harvesting area, i think? I like the subdued colors and plants
I like this vignette, even as i realize i would plant 4 different yuccas instead of 4 of the same...
same here! although this view in Jenny's garden is so gorgeous!
Loved this combination of similar pots and plants against a green wall
I'm sensing a theme in some of these pictures...
Thoughts on how to apply this lesson to my garden:
  • Maybe i should consider that sometimes, more of the same plant is ok? Or at least focus on plants with similar forms, so that from far away it looks more restrained
  • Many of those pictures have pots lined up with walls - that's something i can do. I can also be more intentional at picking pots that "match" each other. Most of mine are already some kind of blue. 
  • Especially in the front garden, some areas of restraint (leaving room around the agaves, more of the same plants, etc) could be good. 
  • Keeping the plants well groomed (like cleaning off all the agave pups, cutting back the grasses, etc) will probably go a long way to creating some order in the chaos
  • Since i don't have grass, some areas to create "simple green" as a background could be with the ground cover plants, and the DG areas
  • Maybe 2019 is the year to trying growing vines on the block wall? I should look into what plants might work!

7 comments:

  1. All great ideas, Renee. I struggle with striking a balance between by collector obsessions and the desire for an integrated landscape too. That wasn't much of an issue in my former, tiny garden as it looked like a jungle no matter what I did but I've made more of an effort with my current much larger garden. I was buying plants in groups of 3 at the start but now I often buy in batches of 5 or 7 or more when it comes to "filler" plants. I still have a lot of hodge-podge as the collector in me hasn't been extinguished by any means but I'm working on it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I always look at your pictures for good examples on how to get a consistent look. I love the way your garden looks!

      Delete
  2. With so many cool plants it is hard to restrain oneself from being a collector. I think you can still get away with being a 'collector" as long as you pay attention to the form of plants too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the form of plants is very important! I have finally started learning that too...

      Delete
  3. Good observations. It's difficult to utilize restraint and employ fine design principles when there are so many fabulous plants that want to come home with us. A garden can be personal expression. Some say architectural delight; others cozy cottage. Mine says, beware, enter at your own risk, a plant hoarder lives here. Watch for falling plants and yard art. I do admire those who successfully balance design principles and plant lust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point! I guess if it makes the gardener happy, the garden is always right :)

      Delete
  4. Restraint continues to evade me ! However I have adopted the repeated plant , and that has helped bring some order.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!