Sunday, May 27, 2012

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog: Gardening Turned up to Eleven. Before I get all distracted by interesting plants and all the weeds that need pulling, I figured I should write down my goals for this blog..

Early Spring in the Front Garden - Tulips, Red Yucca, Ice Plant, Blue Fescue, Sedum and More...
Goals for the blog:
1) Keep track of all the stuff that works, doesn't work, helps, grows, dies, and changes in my front and back gardens. With pictures and all! Since I was young, I've loved playing in the dirt, but I haven't been good at writing down what I've learned. So this will be a place to record all those things.

Also, I'm trying to get rid of a lot of "stuff" - which means I need to actually write down which plants are where, and what they need, instead of saving the pots/labels/tags, which inevitably get lost and clutter up the garage.

2) Show some pictures! I resisted getting a camera for years, mostly because I don't like pictures of me. I still don't like those, but since I have a camera now, I figure I better use it some. And what better way than to take pictures of plants? I just have a point-and-shoot right now, and I'm still learning how to use it, but I'm sure the pictures will get better over time. And since pictures are no good just sitting on my computer, I can put them out here to share (even if the only person interested in them is me...)

3) Show Mother Nature you can garden in the desert! And by Mother Nature, I mean the Internet... I've seen a lot of blogs, and been inspired by a lot of blogs, that cover different climates and different parts of the world. I haven't seen one for my area (Southwest part of the Mojave Desert) and I wanted to add to the information out there. My gardens aren't completely a desert landscape, but conserving water and using interesting and native plants is definitely part of the plan.

Right now, the plan for the blog is to post something regularly (3-4 times a week) and see how that goes... I have a whole lot of plants that I want to document (goal 1) as well as some projects. And I'm also hoping to include some pictures of interesting landscapes/ideas (goal 2), especially as I begin to think about the front garden overhaul, part 2.

So please join me as I try to coax something (anything!) to grow in my sort-of desert garden (turned up to eleven)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to find your blog. Yours' are great goals, each one. Mine were similar, though more generic "outdoor spaces" than "garden" at first. Took forever to get many comments, though I'm way behind on followers.

    With millions in SW cities, seems there would be more interest in the few blogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Your blog is one of the few I've found that address really growing something nice in the desert, even though your environment is different than ours... I'm hoping that with time, there will be more blogs providing information about how to create something nice in this region!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts!