Friday, June 15, 2012

Garden Bloom Day - June 2012

For my first bloom day ever, I just want to show almost everything that's blooming right now... for future ones, I might try to focus on a theme?

To see more gardens in bloom go here: May Dream Gardens - June 2012

In the front garden:
The false red yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora) is putting out three bloom spikes!
One of the bloom spikes in the front garden
The Mexican Evening Primrose (oenothera speciosa) is blooming everywhere:
White-ish pink flowers that the bird hide in!
The Sedum x. rubrotinctum is also showing off its bright yellow flowers:
These are so bright, its hard to take a picture of them!
And the Buddleja davidii 'Black Knight' bloom spikes smell amazing:
The scent welcomes you to the front garden
The roses are still going, although they need to be deadheaded so they'll make more blooms
One of this weekend's chores is to clean the roses!
And the society garlic (Tulbaghia violacea) is adding some purple to that side of the garden
These will bloom all summer....
There's also this lily (I think?) which is blooming for the first time in two years. But the bloom is all deformed... there's some other buds too, so we'll see what happens to those...

I'm not sure what's wrong with this flower. The other buds look fine.

Moving to the back garden:
There is more false red yucca:
This time with seed pods already!

And some leftover red blooms on the Callistemon viminalis 'Little John'
I'm surprised these bloomed this year. The leaves are so soft.
I just planted the Yarrow 'Moonshine' (Achillea millefollium 'Moonshine') this spring, and it came with this bloom spike:
The red ones are getting ready to bloom too!
and there's a few more blooms on the Optunia macrocentra 'Santa Rita':
And there are so many more buds!
There's also this pipe full of sweet allisum (Lobularia maritima) I'm hoping they'll reseed themselves in some other parts of the garden.
The purple ones are already done blooming
And I was also surprised to see the Germander (Teucrium fruticans) starting to bloom in purple/blue:
the various shades of purple look nice together
It looks so interesting with the small purple fountain grass (that I hope gets bigger soon!)
And I love this sunflower! It's huge, and it seeded itself (I'm assuming from one of the sunflowers in the front yard from last year) in one of the pipes. I'm so glad I recognized the seedling and left it!
It looks like it has at least 10 buds on this plant!
It's got a whole bunch of flower buds - I wonder if they'll all open?

The color scheme for the back garden is supposed to be red & yellow with accents of blue, so based on these pictures, the starting point is there! I'm very excited that these flowers are blooming - especially when I remember what this area looked like just a few months ago:
The very sad before...
There are still more blooms I didn't include yet! I can't wait to see what the rest of the summer brings... But I'll try to make the next bloom day post a little shorter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!