Sunday, March 16, 2014

Bloom Day - March 2014

I'm late, as always! But after seeing all the other beautiful flowers at Carol's May Dreams Garden, I wanted to share mine... Thank you for hosting Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, Carol!

In my garden, these two are still going strong:
'Orange Sceptre' is still going... and still has bare legs

Senna artemisioides (ID confirmed now!) is still covered in little yellow flowers
And there are also some new comers:

My favorite blooming part of the garden right now
 This is a combination of Yarrow, Penstemon pseudospectabilis, Optunia and Agave... plus some left over daffodils. I like the cheery combination!
The daffodils are already past their prime though..
 These all-white daffodils bloomed later, so they still look good:
These came back with a lot of extra flowers! Hopefully that trend will continue next year...
 I really like this combination of A. ovatifolia and penstemon, and so do the hummingbirds! Although they mostly leave the agave alone...
the leaves on both plants have little "spines" - but very different sizes!
 There are also a few other spring bulbs still blooming:
Tulip in the front garden - which I still haven't cleaned up yet!
 Tulips do not reliably come back here... I'm thinking I may want to try species tulips this fall. But who can resist those colors?
Also, the cherry tree is finally blooming, about 3 weeks behind every other cherry tree in town. Cue gratuitous close ups of the pretty white flowers:
I can't wait for the cherries!

I think I take this picture every year - they looks so good against the blue!
Thanks for visiting my garden! I'm off to explore more blooms at May Dreams Gardens

5 comments:

  1. It's always interesting to see what blooms you have there that we share in our climate, and then others that I have no clue about. I hope you get lots of cherries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I always like seeing plants in other people's gardens, especially ones I can't grow myself. Keeps me from killing too many plants I have no business growing in the desert, and new inspiration! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. The daffodil and agave combo is nice, until I saw the next one of agave and Penstemon pseudospectabilis. Wow - I'm unsure why I don't use the latter wildflower anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because it's pink? I almost didn't plant it for that reason (I was looking for a red one, like the ones in the mountains here) but planted this one anyway. This is the first year the combination jumped out at me like it did. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. You have some very nice spring color! I like the 'Orange Sceptre', a plant not familiar to me, so I looked it up and was surprised to see that it is a buddleia! I can imagine that it would really be attractive to butterflies. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!