Sunday, March 30, 2014

Hummingbirds!

It's been a busy few weeks. I finally gave in to the nice weather and started planting last weekend. While out weeding and planting, I was buzzed several times by the resident hummingbirds, wanting their picture taken, I think.

The first one looks like the one that has been hanging around my garden all winter, primarily feeding from 'Orange Sceptre'. It must be happy now that the sages are starting to bloom again:


caught at just the right moment!

right before it noticed me and buzzed off
 I think this might be an Anna's hummingbird although I'm certainly not good enough to be sure!

The next hummingbird that showed up is definitely a Rufous Hummingbird though:


because he's orange!
 According to allaboutbirds.org, Rufous Hummingbirds are "...are pugnacious birds that tirelessly chase away other hummingbirds, even in places they’re only visiting on migration". In my case, this one is also happy to chase away humans if they get to close to their nectar sources, apparently. Rofous's don't stay year round in the desert, so I will enjoy this one's visits while they last...

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting a picture of hummingbirds in the garden, Renee - I can only catch my local residents when they're at the feeder outside my kitchen window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hummers, they are so delightful and almost magical. I've pretty much given up on trying to get photos. Now when they come around, I just enjoy them without the hassle of trying to get a good picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess on the first one is an Anna's...very cool you captured them! I miss seeing hummers so many mornings, but am still unsure how I might plant my patio to bring in some. That would make this tiny place feel like home...

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!