Saturday, April 15, 2017

April Bloom Day

Time for Bloom Day, hosted by Carol at May Dreams Garden! There are so many things blooming all over the world. I don't have pictures of all my blooms, but just a couple that caught my eye after a week-long work trip.

The poppies are blooming everywhere except the planting beds. I wonder if there's any chance of them being as well behaved as Gerhard's? There's a particularly large clump in the dry stream bed:
Poppies plus Cassia (or Senna) on the hill side
More poppies and ice plant on the rest of the hill side
 It seems like the ice plant is blooming less than last year. I'm not sure why there is a random pillow (?!?) in the middle of the hillside. This still part needs a lot of clean up. That's what Easter is for!

My new iris is blooming! It's in a container in the back of one of the large planting beds. It's doing surprisingly well. I really like the color. 
I think like this is like Carol's variety name: "there's a tag somewhere"
 This combo of yucca and daisies makes me look like I plan things or something:
I don't, but i need to get more of that color daisies...
 And last - these aren't flowers, but they are growing and so cute!
Baby hummingbirds! 
Happy Gardening Bloggers' Bloom Day! Carol has many more blogs to look at in her comments!

13 comments:

  1. You have all that lovely sunshine to grow in. I love seeing the differences in garden situations. Your poppies look like big globes of sunshine scattered about. Oh those sweet little hummers. We haven't had a hummingbird in our garden yet this year. It won't be long. I have never seen a nest in Indiana. They are so secretive. They do frequent my garden. Happy GBBD. Don't work too hard today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I was amazed when the hummingbird built its nest right there, normally they are more secretive here as well. Happy GBBD!

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful iris! Love the Hummingbird photo!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Happy Easter to you as well, and happy GBBD!

      Delete
  3. What amazing little hummingbirds and how wonderful to be able to watch them. Your garden is very interesting, so different from mine. It must be quite a challenge. It's usually quite wet here (southwest UK) but now we haven't had rain for weeks which is unusual in spring. The ground is still damp though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damp ground sounds awesome! I've been excited with all the rain we got over the winter. I love seeing other people's gardens - thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Love the California poppies, mine sow themselves wherever they want. Your slope is very pretty. Cool shot of the baby hummers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My poppies seem to prefer anywhere but the nice planting beds... crazy plants! Thanks for the comment about the slope! That's been a hard area to make look nice. Thanks for visiting, and happy GBBD!

      Delete
  5. A hummingbird nest! How exciting. If my resident hummers nest anywhere nearby, I've yet to discover it.

    I didn't realize your slope was so steep - I wish my own was half as colorful. Congratulations on the pretty Iris too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular nest is super-visible, but hidden under the deck on one of the string lights. I was surprised they came back this year. The slope is very steep, which makes growing things a challenge. Thanks for visiting and happy GBBD!

      Delete
  6. I'm always amazed at what you dry climate dwellers can do with a garden! So much different than what we have in the cold, wet zones and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hillside garden is lovely and I love the poppies and iris. It is so interesting seeing different gardens and yours is full of a variety of blooms. I also like the rock garden effect with stones and boulders scattered throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you with all those California Poppies! Love them.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!