Friday, June 13, 2014

Favorite Plant this week: Hesperaloe

My favorite plant this week is Hesperaloe parviflora, the yellow version:
Hello yellow!
I have many (9, I think) of the red/pink version, but only 1 of the yellow form. I wanted more for the back garden when I replanted it, but at the time, you couldn't find them anywhere! Even now, the red is way more common, but I did notice that the nursery that did my landscape installation now seems to have several. I finally found mine about a year ago at the Huntington Garden plant sale. This is the first year it has bloomed in the garden.

H. parviflora is also known as Red Yucca, or False Red Yucca. The clumps get about 3-4 feet tall and wide, and they grow well in the heat. They don't need a lot of water, and don't need a lot of care in general - other than trimming the dead flower stalks off. If the clumps get really big, they should be divided, although I haven't done that to any of mine yet. The leaves don't have teeth, but the ends are sharp!

Wider view. This clump has been in the front garden for about a year.
I'm joining Loree at Danger Garden for her favorite plant meme - although I'm sure I won't be posting weekly! Her favorite plant is always worth a look, and the comments at her blog have more awesome plants to look at here.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! I purchased a yellow blooming hesperaloe years ago online, then I stupidly forgot about it and let it get shaded out and it died. These are just simply gorgeous and I'm so glad you've got one, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was amazed how hard it was to find, but now some of the local nurseries have some... maybe they'll be easier to find in other places too soon? Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts!