It is a pup from my parents' plant - one of about seven that I got about three years ago. A lot of them have died, mostly from being too close to my neighbor's lawn, and getting too much water in too cold weather. Some of them got squashed when the new block wall got put up too. There are only three left, and they're all sad. The combination of the north side of the house, and the way the drainage worked, meant they spent each winter trying not to die, and didn't grow much over the summer. So, this weekend, I dug them all up, and put them in a temporary container:
|I also got rid of all the clay still hanging on their roots|
Here they are all potted up in well-draining potting mix, with leaves trimmed:
|Intensive care for Aloes|
The part of the front garden these came out of will be one of my projects this spring - I want to turn it into a gravel garden. I've been doing a lot of research (These old posts from Allison and Loree have been helpful!) and I think I'm almost ready. The most fun part will be finding plants - but I'm trying really hard to not buy any yet, since we've still got another month or two of winter...
Which makes me wonder how this new plant showed up, first in my car, and then in my garden:
|yup, i fell for the big garden center trick...|
|Getty Sculpture garden, by the tram|