Saturday, April 25, 2020

Six on Saturday: Weird cherry tree, and new pots!

Just for fun this weekend, here's a look at six random things in my garden...

First off, my very strange cherry tree - can you see it blooming here?
it's on the north side of the house
It's done this the last few years - bloom on the bottom half of the tree first. I assume it has something to do with the roof line of the house?
a closer picture
In a few more weeks, the top will have flowers, and the bottom leaves. In a few more months, there will be lots of cherries, which is really all that matters.

(also - note to self - prune those opuntia...)

Next - i refreshed some of the hanging pots in my garden! I'm still amazed i can keep these alive! This is one of the new ones:
just some easy succulents
 This one is in a bit more exposed location - it already has sunburn:
but hopefully it will adjust...
 both pots have a spot that's clearly rock mulch - that's where the ice cubes go! I water these pots with ice cubes... so that the water can actually soak into the pots. I've had luck with string-of-pearls surviving, so let's hope that continues!

These next two pots are going on their 3rd year!
this one looks much better now that i watered it...

this one looks kinda bad, TBH, but this plant is definitely surviving
I should get around to adding some more plants to that second pot. Perhaps i should brave the garden center next weekend for my weekly "leave the house" adventure/support local businesses, while maintaining social distancing.

6 comments:

  1. Love the hanging pots, Renee. Enjoy the cherries this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the cherries! and thank you!

      Delete
  2. The hanging pots are great. Am always on the lookout for something other than plastic. Alas, very hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i got these at Target! I agree that good pots, especially at reasonable prices, are very hard to find.

      Delete
  3. Your spring is behind our spring, but not too much. I'm sure both of us are "enjoying" the wind, too. Cherries...that is one interesting bloom pattern your tree has. Memorial Day cherries, or a little before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the wind... sigh. I'm pretty sure the cherry tree bloom pattern has something to do with the house and the wall? The cherries are usually ripe in June or so. But this year has been weird (to say the least!) so we'll see.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts!